Paxton’s original log church was built in the 1720’s or 1730’s. In 1931, while the renovation of our sanctuary was taking place, it was decided to place a stone marker on the site of the original church. It was also thought to use some of the original stone supports on the marker if they could be located. On June 17, 1931, Rev. Harry B. King, Rush Hosler, and Thomas Hall made soundings and excavations and found two piles of stones that were used as church supports. This helped them determine that the width of the church as 26 feet running north and south. The driveway and walk prevented getting the east and west dimensions. It was determined that these were two cabin corners based on records from previous generations that located the building 53 feet south of the stone church where, in 1931, there was a walnut tree growing. The support stones were used on the top layer of the marker.

Dr. J. Loomis Christian donated the resources to build the “Lodge” in the grove north of the church building (Cabin Hill). It was dedicated in 1950 and is a general replica of the original church being of the same size and design. Dr. Loomis wanted it to be a place for Scout and youth group meetings. Paxton’s Boy Scout Troop 59 met there until it disbanded in the late 1970’s. They meet weekly and went to Philmont High Adventure Camp in New Mexico several times. Troop Scout Masters included: Jim Pressler, Don Sener, Peter Ressler, Richard Veet, and Jay Kealey. Additionally, Pack 301’s Webelo group met weekly and had monthly “camp out’s” there under the leadership of Jeff Stinner and Norman Daniels.

Today, the cabin and its vesper area is used for quarterly church services; special services such as Easter Sunrise and Blessing of the Pets; train displays; the center of Carol singing; and youth services. Dr. Christian, another “Paxton angel,” gave us all a unique and generous gift that continues to enhance the lives of many today.