In 1789, there was a “laying of alleys in the Paxtang meeting house.” Wooden aisles or sections of flooring were installed over the hard-packed dirt floor and each family built their own pews based on available material and the carpentry skills of the family. They were also arranged in what we would call today as “stadium seating” as the back pews were slightly higher than the front. The overall floor plan would be the same as we have now except we would not have the pew uniformity of construction, size, and color that we have today.
In 1808 the beams were enclosed with a ceiling of yellow pine and it was painted white. Pine partitions were built on each end of the church. The western vestibule had pews resting on dirt floors with a brick passage from the door. The eastern side had a wood floor. Two large wood stoves were placed in the long aisle for heat and the smoke went into the loft.
In 1847, the interior was gutted and the western partition was removed. The western door was walled up and a new pulpit was built in front of it. Rev. Elder’s old pulpit was torn down and keepsakes were made from it –an example of which can be seen in the display case by the elevator entrance. Additionally, the small window behind the old pulpit was walled up and the ceiling and walls were plastered for the first time. Wood stoves were exchanged for coal stoves and their pipes were joined to form a wing to enter a chimney. A picture in the archives room across from the communion plates shows the walled-in door and a chimney. A new wood floor was laid over the whole building and the seating arrangement was changed and new pews ordered. Now the pews faced west towards the pulpit. The north side had one long section of pews and the south side had two smaller sections to allow entrance through the south door. Additionally, there was a group of “amen” pews on either side of the pulpit. The pews were straight, wooden, high-back seats painted white with a mahogany rail. There were reported to be “fearful to sit in.” Shortly after, a carpet and green Venetian blinds were added to make it up to date for the 1850’s.