Paxton Church is an active Presbyterian Church (USA) congregation in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We are a caring family of approximately 600 believers from the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and surrounding area devoted to God’s service since 1732. Paxton Church is both a 1st century and 21st century church – adhering to the Biblical faith of trust in God as revealed through Jesus Christ; but ecumenical in Spirit. Paxton Church today tries to carry on some advantages of the smaller church in atmosphere, and the larger church in contemporary program and ministry. We are blessed with a beautiful 1740 church building and long tradition. In fact, we meet in the oldest Presbyterian church building in continuous use in Pennsylvania, and the second oldest in the United States. Yet we are an active church focused intently on the future – not just on Sundays but everyday.
Worship – central to our faith
- Preaching which seeks to relate the Bible to contemporary life and problems.
- Two sacraments:
- Baptism of infants, reminding us of the Covenant, or adults on profession of faith
- Holy Communion, celebrated at the beginning of each church season – about 9 times each year – and in smaller groups as directed by Session. (Baptized children may receive instruction and commune.)
- Choirs – choral, handbell & chime – for many different age groups, children, youth, and adult.
- Special Services of Worship – Ash Wednesday; Maundy Thursday; Good Friday; Easter Sunrise; Thanksgiving Eve; Christmas Musical; Christmas Eve and others.
How to become a member of Paxton Presbyterian Church
All who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior – anyone who can be a Christian – can be Presbyterian by:
- Letter of Transfer from another Christian Church
- Reaffirmation of Faith when having previously been a member of a Christian Church
- Profession of Faith – either by baptism or by confirmation and commissioning, when joining for the first time.
A series of classes is held periodically (as announced) for new members who are then received by the Session and recognized in worship. Please indicate your interest on the pew pad or contact the pastor.